About 1858 a water powered saw mill was set
up at the site of the recently publicized old rock
Mill at Millville. The town was probably named
after this mill. The owners were Esaih Edwards
and Ray Kent. This mill was operated by Hyrum
Hayball. Later in the late sixtys a lath and shingle
mill was added.
About 1870 a mill was set up in Millville
Canyon at a location known as the "Flat". It was an
overshot wheel mill powered from water stored in a
pond nearby. The owners and operators were Frank
Catwell, John Hunt (also known as John Cook), Thomas
and Richard Jessop and the Garr brothers. This mill
was later changed to a steam powered mill and moved
to a location three miles farther up the canyon
at what is known as the "Elboe". This about 1880.
Jake Jeppeson, known as the best horseman in
Cache Valley, pulled the boiler up to this site with a
six horse team. The timber depleted at this site,
the mill was moved out of the canyon about 1898.
John Jensen of Millville remembers this mill passing
in front of his home.