CH2M HILL Rudy Lukez (will pick up)
TO: Interdisciplinary Team
FROM: Stan Nuffer
DATE: June 11, 1987
SUBJECT: Logan Canyon Environmental Study
The following items are submitted for your review in preparation
for the next Interdisciplinary Team meeting scheduled
for June 22 at 1:30 p.m. in Brigham City. Your support and
cooperation are appreciated. We realize the agenda for the
meeting is a very ambitious one.
1. Minutes of May 18 meeting (page 2 was missing from the
June 4 mailing)
Alternatives Technical Memorandum (Chapter 8)
3. Air Quality Technical Memorandum
4. Land Use and Recreation Technical Memorandum
5. Terrestrial Resources Technical Memorandum
6. Aquatic Resources Technical Memorandum
7. Biological Assessment by Stanley L. Welsh
The Socia-Economic and Visual Resources Technical Memoranda
will be sent as soon as possible.
LOGAN CANYON ENVIRONMENTAL STUDY
ID TEAM MEETING MINUTES
Jack Spence, Sierra Club
Clark Ostergaard~ USFS
Fred LaBar, USFS
Mark Shaw, USFS
Don Duff, USFS
Bill Helm, Unattached
John Neil, UDOT
Lynn Zollinger, UDOT
Duncan Silver, FHWA
Gale Larson, Valley Engineering
Cliff Forsgren, CH2M HILL
Margaret Johnson, CH2M HILL
Sheldon Barker, CH2M HILL
ITEM 1 - REVIEW OF MINUTES
The minutes of the May 4 meeting were reviewed.
ITEM 2 - DISCUSSION OF THE EXISTING CONDITIONS PORTION OF
THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC TECHNICAL MEMORANDUM
Margaret Johnson led the discussion of the socio-economic
technical memorandum. Margaret 'distributed an updated draft
of the memorandum which addressed the vlri tten comments received
from Steve Flint. Jack Spence had a number of additional
comments which were discussed. One of the primary
items to come out of the discussion was the need to provide
information on driving times, using alternate routes, from
various locations on the Wasatch Front to Bear Lake. This
is not information that is generally available. It was
suggested that the "Friends of Bear Lake" a property owners
association with many members in Weber, Davis, and Salt Lake
Counties be contacted to see if they could provide some
information. The Friends of Bear Lake may also be able to
provide information on the number of recreational homes in
the area which are owned by people along the Wasatch Front.
ITEM 3 - REVIEW OF THE TECHNICAL MEMORANDUM ADDRESSING NOISE
John Neil led the discussion. The memorandum focused primarily
on picnic and camping areas. John indicated that the
only problem area would be at China Rowand that it would be
impossible to mitigate above 40 mph because the picnic area
was so close to the road. He also expressed an interest in
locating areas of the river near the road where there might
be some fishing. The memorandum does not address fisherman,
because John does not know specifically where they are likely
to be. It is also not known if the background noise from
the river is great enough to· muffle roadway noises. There
was some discussion of dispersed recreation (hiking, crosscountry
skiing, etc). Jack Spence was not sure that it had
been addressed. Duncan Silver pointed out that there were
enough sites evaluated and enough information presented to
allow someone to estimate the noise level at a particular
location where someone might be hiking or skiing.
ITEM 4 - REVIEW OF THE EXISTING CONDITIONS PORTION OF THE
TERRESTRIAL RESOURCES TECHNICAL MEMORANQUM
Jack Spence indicated that bald eagles used Logan Canyon (as
well as Blacksmith Fork) and that he had seen Peregrine Falcons
in Tab Hollow.
It was also reported that Stan Welch from the BYU Herbarium
had been in the Canyon and had located two additional sites
with Maquire Primrose. He will finish his report within the
next 2 or 3 weeks. Mr. Welch has indicated to UDOT that his
primary concern would be during construction. Increased
dust during the pollination season could cause problems.
More detailed information will be in his report.
ITEM 5 - TRAFFIC FORECASTS
Cliff Forsgren and Jack Spence will review the traffic projections
and Cliff will report at the next meeting.
OTHER ITEMS OF DISCUSSION
Duncan Silver asked for a list of uncompleted items. There
have been a number of things discussed in meetings and no
record kept ot their completion. (Note: the list will be
distributed at the next ID Team meeting) .
Duncan Silver also told the ID Team that FHWA was going to
require FHWA visual resource criteria be used in the study.
A copy of the criteria had been provided to UDOT.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.